Journalism & Photography
Trainee and Voluntary opportunities for everybody interested in promoting the Beautiful Blaenavon.
Blaenavon is an area with many things to offer visitors: Amazing landscapes, remarkable history (and historical places), incredible events, awesome food, singular business, entertainment and more.
Unfortunately, all these things are known only for Blaenavon people.
Think of the opportunities for the area & if we can change this:
- More people visiting Blaenavon (and some of them may want to stay).
- New commercial opportunities.
- Increasing employment opportunities
- Revamp the high street, and more, much more.
When social media is not enough
Many kinds of research show that not everybody is in social media and more are leaving it. Many elderly people do not like it, Millennials and Gen Zers are challenging themselves to quit Social Media because it makes them unhappy.
Focusing on the promotion of the town on social media only is a mistake.
The Victorian Blaenavon & Now
A regular printed newsletter distributed in places around and also in not-to-close areas will help. We believe the key to making this promotion successful will be based not only in the distribution but also in the content and design.
About the content: Interesting stories about the town, its history, landscapes and activities will be very important but also information about the business.
Regarding the design, we propose that we need to, show from the image, what is the character and personality of the town. Being a heritage town it is something that should be reflected in the publication. This is why the proposal is to inspire the design in the Victorian era and its newspapers.
By printing also the newsletter on an Eco-age-coloured paper it will encourage the readers to collect (and not throw away) the issues. In combination with stories delivered in chapters, we will create a “collectable” magazine.
Another interesting aspect of this kind of venture is that many of the groups and institutions will collaborate in the content: The museum with history, the camera club with images, the Council with business information, the Youth Hub group with information, interesting for people of its age and so on.
A very important aspect of this project is that it will become self-sustainable very soon. As the goal is to promote the town “outside the town” businesses will be interested soon in collaborating with adverts.
Many things to do, many areas to cover, so much to do:
Creating a newspaper requires people to be involved in the project.
- Journalists, photographers, designers, creative people, English correctors, researchers…
- Do you like to talk to people? Go to events and write stories? You can become a journalist.
- Do you like to tell stories through images? Become a photographer. You do not know how to do it? Join us a trainee, we will teach you.
- Are you a creative person? Would you like to become a designer? As a trainee, we will teach you all the secrets and software you need to know.
The Victorian Blaenavon & Now Newspaper a great opportunity to make a change, learn and collaborate.